Thursday 11 April 2024

The Household -Stacey Halls

 


I read Stacey Hall’s first book, The Familiars, and loved it. I made a mental note to keep an eye open for her future work. I'm ashamed to say that I still haven't read The Foundling or Mrs. England but I will. And if I needed any extra motivation reading The Household was the best thing I could have done! 

The book is what I like to call 'faction' - it's an historical novel based on true facts. The titular household refers to Urania Cottage, the property that Charles Dickens founded with the aim of helping 'fallen' women. He did this with the help and financial assistance of Angela Burnett-Coutts.

The residents of that cottage, selected from inmates of prisons and workhouses, provide the substance of the novel and their stories unfold alongside that of Angela Burdett-Coutts which offers a neat balance between two different social groups. 

Although Dickens is referenced many times in the story centre stage is given to the female characters. What I enjoyeded very much was that the supposed 'fallen' women were portrayed, not as victims to be pitied, but as resourceful, and determined people trying to make the best of the lives they were leading. Their stories nestle alongside that of Ms. Burdett-Coutts as equals.

In some ways I had the feeling that it was what I like to call a 'big house' story but that may have been because of the moneyed Ms.Burnett-Coutts!

All the women have their stories and they interlink very cleverly with some tight plotting. But you can’t have an historical novel without some serious research; not just the facts of the period but the essence of the period. Dialogue, locations, attention to the smallest detail bring the narrative to life and transport the reader back to Victorian England. 

There are mysteries to ponder, obstacles to overcome and the notion of freedom explored between the rich and the not so rich. There’s compassion and drama, in fact there’s a little of everything! A most absorbing and captivating story. I’m off to procure copies of Mrs.England and The Foundling. 

My thanks to Readers First for my prize copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment