Saturday 27 April 2024

The Grand Illusion- Syd Moore

 

Great excitement in our town in December as a new independent bookshop opened. We had been without one for some years. The previous one was lovely with an in-store travel agent and cafe. In fact it was the last place where I had coffee with my late Mum although we didn't know that at the time. 😢 But this new shop hosts events in the evenings which was joyous news to my ears. I didn't venture out during the winter as my age and dark evenings don't match too well! But I was determined to attend events when the evenings were lighter. 

And that happened the other Friday evening when local author Syd Moore presented her latest book The Grand Illusion. For a couple of hours she had us spellbound (pun intended) as she detailed the research and background to the book. The first of a trilogy featuring the intrepid Daphne Devine the story focuses on the Nazi's intended invasion of the British Isles that may or may not have been thwarted by the occult. Hitler was apparently a firm believer in such matters. 

With a detailed plot that exploits the skills of Daphne, and Jonty, her boss, who engage in pursuits of magic and illusion, the story bounces along with gusto. But this is no frivolous jaunt. The history is there and it's fascinating. I guess you could call it unashamedly feminist as the role of women during WW2 are detailed. I certainly learnt a lot. But the protocols and rituals of hierarchical defence systems and the utilisation of resources, human and otherwise, are engrossing. There's a little hint of romance, too, but it never overshadows the main thrust of the story which explodes into a nail biting conclusion. 

Daphne is a a great character, feisty but level headed and self analytical. I look forward to seeing how she develops in the next book. The story is from her POV. The other characters are interesting but they circle around Daphne as moths around a flame. I'm sure some of them will reappear in the next books and it will be entertaining to see who and where the writer will go with them. I can't wait for book two!!

I bought my copy at my local independent bookshop AND I have it personally signed by the writer! Did I ever mention I'm a sucker for signed copies?! 😉 



No comments:

Post a Comment