Wednesday 17 April 2024

Strange Magic - Syd Moore


Since December our town has had an indepedent book shop.
 The previous one closed down a few months before the pandemic and as a book lover I have keenly felt the loss and absence of a book based emporium! What's delighting me even more about this new one is that they hold regular events in the evenings. Since I am old and not as steady on my pins as I once was I decline to tramp the streets in the dark but now the lighter evenings are upon us I am going to attend as many of these events as possible. The first one I've booked for is a reading by a local author -  Syd Moore. I hadn't read any of her books and in fact I knew very little about her. But when I started to research her I found that she has written several books many of which (pun) are about - witches! I didn't want to go 'cold' to her reading so I purchased a copy of her first Essex Witches novel. I didn't know what to expect but I absolutely loved it! It is the first in a series of four featuring Rosie Strange who inherits a Witch museum (as you do!). It was funny, exciting, evenly paced. The dynamic between the two main characters was well sustained and it's made me hungry to read the rest of the series. Sam and Rosie travel the length and breadth of the British Isles -  well maybe that's an exaggeration but they do get about - trying to track down the bones of a witch executed in the 1500's! It's escapist and touches on the magical and supernatural giving plenty of material for discussion. Comfort zones are breached and opinions are reviewed. Historical facts abound and will have you indignant at the way women were treated. There is an attempt too to dispel the Essex girl myth. 

I expect I will buy a copy of her current book when I go to the reading and I'm hoping she might sign it for me. Watch this space!!

No comments:

Post a Comment