Saturday 24 February 2024

Umbilical - Teika Marija Smits

 


I look at the best seller lists sometimes and I find myself thinking, why? I receive a book like Umbilical and I find myself asking the same question. But for a different reason. Why hadn't I heard of this book before I was sent a copy? Why isn't it all over social media? I've seen and read books that have been splashed about all over the place and they aren't half as good as this. I know that short stories don't always get the accolades they deserve. I long for that to change. It would be fantastic if this were the book to do that. 

As a book blogger I am sometimes asked directly by authors if I would care to read and review their books. My decision rests on my own gut instinct, and whether there's a physical copy because I can't bear e-reading. Often that's the end of the story and I get it because economically and environmentally ebooks make sense. But every once in a while an author is willing to send me a paper copy and I am always very grateful that they are willing to invest in my humble opinions. When this writer approached me via social media my instinct radar started buzzing even though the genres listed weren't amongst my favourites, I don't do horror! (As a young teen the Pan Book of Horror Stories Volumes 1 and 2 did the rounds in the playground and I think they scarred me for life! ) But instinct rules, and a sample story which I did e-read convinced me that I would find something in this debut collection of short stories.

However I wasn't prepared for just how good this collection is. This is writing of quality, compassion and intelligence. Each story is different and original but there is a cohesion that binds them all together. I particularly liked how the opening poem is referenced again in the concluding story, such a subtle move but so effective.  

There is an almost futuristic fairy tale quality to many of the stories and although they may appear benignly different initially there are threads and themes running though the entire collection which offers the reader a pleasing cohesion. The Greek myths provide a wealth of inspiration for some tales, Theseus, Icarus, Daedalus, characters from global folk lore, Baba Yaga, Bluebeard and The Green Man, some literary heroes, Sherlock Holmes and they all nestle alongside some deliciously futuristic scenarios -  instead of an engineer coming to service your boiler, in the opening story he comes to service the AI ! For some reason I thought of Hal and 2001:A Space Odyssey as I read of Marvin, so called because he hears things through the grapevine! If you don't get that allusion then you're not as old as me! Little touches like those were a delight to encounter as I wove my way through the narratives, enchanted by the creativity and the unfettered imagination of this author. 

Thematically the stories are diverse and in the hands of a lesser writer it might not work as a collection but it does here because there are subtle strands that knit the stories together.  They are not overtly feminist stories yet the female as an archetype populates many of the stories whether they are set in some dystopian future or a 19th century past. The bind between mothers and daughters is wonderfully explored in the titular Umbilical. Parenting, marriage, miscarriage are all compassionately explored in other stories. 

As a metaphor the labyrinth appears in a couple of stories, most effectively in the concluding story The  November Room, one of my favourites, and you come away from the book feeling that you have in some way navigated the labyrinth of life in so many of its aspects. 

There's nothing superficial about these tales, they are at times deep and challenging but redemption is never far away. It is a considerable skill to explore intense themes without descending into bleakness and negativity and to offer hope to the reader. 

My thanks to the author Teika Marija Smits who offered and gifted me a copy, and my thanks to my instinct that urged me to accept. 

You could treat yourself and buy a copy - http://www.newconpress.co.uk/info/book.asp?id=229&referer=Catalogue




No comments:

Post a Comment