Sunday 4 February 2024

A Spell of Good Things - Ayobami Adebayo


I read this author's previous novel Stay With Me, an unusual Nigerian tale of love, impotence and deception. I was interested to read her second book where I can see the author developing her style and expanding her themes which never stray far away from her rich Nigerian culture but also issues facing class and society and where the two might overlap. 

Wuraola is a golden girl, the perfect child of a wealthy family. Now an exhausted, young doctor in her first year of practice, she is beloved by Kunle, the volatile son of family friends.

Eniola is tall for his age, a boy who looks like a man. His father has lost his job, so Eniola spends his days running errands for the local tailor, and begging, dreaming of a big future.

In this breathtaking novel, Ayobami Adebayo, shines her light on Nigeria, the gaping divides in its society, and the shared humanity that lives in between.'

The story works well with the two perspectives of Eniola and Wuraola. Both are well developed characters and the reader can become invested in their stories feeling their pains and frustrations and willing them both to rise above the challenges that society and life throws at them. I found it fascinating to observe the family dynamics of both protagonists from a culture so very different from my own. I feel better informed and more aware and more outraged, I guess, at some of the issues and events in the novel. I had to reread the concluding sections more than once because I hoped that if I re read the ending, it might change. Of course it doesn't and I found it heartbreaking. 

I doubt there is a single country in the world that is not in possession of some inequitable laws and social conventions and politicians of questionable morals  this book certainly details the situation in Nigeria. 

It's compelling reading but by no means a feel good read, its quite bleak with the occasional upbeat moment. There were times when I struggled to engage fully with the narrative yet others where I couldn't put the book down. It's a masterful piece of writing and would seem to cement Ayobami Adebayo's place as a foremost Nigerian author.

My thanks to Canongate Books for a gifted, readalong copy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment