Tuesday 13 February 2024

Poetry Unbound - Padraig O Tuama

 


Poetry Unbound is an engaging anthology of 50 poems with the intention of opening worlds and I think it will do just that. I say I think it will because I will confess straight away that I haven’t read all the poems yet. That’s just not how I read poetry. I like to read a poem and savour it for a while, letting the intent and images wash over me and infuse me with its power. Reading one poem after another just doesn’t work for me. But that can take me quite a while before I ‘finish’ an anthology. It doesn’t bother me to do that but when publisher has been kind enough to send me a copy, I feel the commitment to offer some kind of response as close to the publication date as possible. 

 

What makes this diverse selection a little different from other anthologies is the text that accompanies each poem.  Padraig O Tuama has lovingly crafted a structure for each poem where he offers a brief introduction before the poem itself then he gives us his feelings and responses, a little lit crit maybe, some information on the poet which somehow gives the poems a wider context and the experience of reading them a greater intimacy .

 

There are poets I ‘know’ –  Margaret Atwood and Lemn Sissay for example and some who are new to me. As with any collection I always read each poem aloud  and  I already have my favourites;  Song by Tracy K. Smith – powerful in its observational simplicity, A Blessing by James Wright – a moment captured and analysed  so succinctly and delicately. 

 

It's a quite delightful collection and even when I have read all of the poems in it I shall return again and again. 

 

My thanks to Canongate Books for a gifted copy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment