Monday 27 March 2023

The Creative Act: A Way of Being - Rick Rubin

 

Rick Rubin is an American record producer so he’s no stranger to creativity. And though music is the predominant creative field he’s engaged in, The Creative Act is all encompassing of artistic endeavour.

I’ve only read this book once so far, but I wasn’t far into it when I realised I’d be re-reading it, probably several times. I’m hopeful, it’s inspiring words may help me locate my errant creative mojo that I’ve temporarily misplaced.

Amazon has the book listed as “Rock and Pop Musician, Biographies“ – it isn’t a biography, and “Heavy Metal Musicians Biographies“ – it ISN’T! Then “Philosopher, Biographies“ – jettison the biographies bit and we’re getting there. A philosophical self-help book may be? At times, I wondered whether Mr Rubin had been channelling some creative deity from the great beyond, for there is a sense of the spiritual to the wisdoms contained within this tome. And there are so many quotable maxims! In fact, you can open the book at any page, and find one!

 The call of the artist is to follow the excitement. Where there’s excitement, theirs is energy. And where there is energy, there is light.’

Each new chapter is prefaced with mantra like epigrams.

A rule is a way of structuring awareness.’

I read this book as part of a readalong, which is a perfect way to experience a book such as this. It’s too much to take in at once! I think it will bombard you. For creative people, it’s inspirational and insightful. However, I should imagine for those who aren’t it might fail to hold their attention. But then again my hope is that it might light a creative spark in someone. Also, structurally, the sentences are short and concise, which makes it more accessible for those who are not intrinsic readers. I also like the fact that there are some pages at the end of the book for you to write and  jot down thoughts and ideas that might occur to you while you’re reading. In some ways, it’s a book to be experienced rather than merely read.

My thanks to Canongate Books for a gifted copy and another thoroughly enjoyable readalong.

No comments:

Post a Comment