Monday 13 March 2023

No Life for a Lady - Hannah Dolby - Tandem Collective readalong

 

For some folk historical fiction is much like a period drama on television you either love it or hate it. I’ve always enjoyed historical fiction on varying levels. But I don’t restrict myself to the one genre. For example, I also enjoy crime which I also experience on a number of levels. And if a sub genre of the crime novel is “cosy crime” then I think it’s possible that a sub genre of historical fiction novel could be ‘cosy history’?! If that can be so, then Hannah Dolby’s, No Life for a Lady should surely slot neatly into that category.

Set along the bustling promenades of Victorian Hastings, this novel follows the fortunes of Violet Hamilton, spinster of this parish, much to her fathers chagrin, and he will not desist from trying to introduce her to eligible men. But that’s not what Violet aspires to. She’s a feisty, determined Victorian lady who bends the rules of propriety on many an occasion. But there’s a refreshing naïveté to her that works very well alongside her wit and stubbornness. 

Central to the action is Violet’s desire to find or find out what happened to her mother, Lily, who disappeared 10 years previously. To achieve that end she enlists the services of a private investigator. This proves to be the catalyst for the events that follow. And I refuse to give away any more than that. You’re just going to have to read the book for yourself.

I found Violet’s character most endearing, and I found her so funny. The whole book has some very humorous moments in it, so it comes across as quite lighthearted in places, even though some of the subject matter is serious. 

The location is dominant but it’s very much a character driven narrative. And there’s a great deal of attention to historical detail. The only thing I might say is some of the language and idioms were possibly not Victorian and some more modern vernacular was used, but overall it didn’t detract from the fun aspect of this story. The ending was a tad inconclusive, but I’m hoping this means we’re going to see some more of Violet in her intended role, which I will not divulge because I try not to do spoilers!

It’s a book of warmth and wit, undemanding in many ways, but it leaves you more upbeat than down. And we all need some of that in these drear times.

My thanks to Tandem Collective for a gifted copy of the book, and a spot on the readalong, which was enhanced by all of the activities offered in the special edition of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment