Monday 25 July 2022

The Richmond Papers - Sam Simpson

 


I’m not a fan of politics.Most of the problems in the world are caused by politics it seems to me.

Politics in my own country mystifies me so any attempts to understand the system in the USA have been utterly fruitless! My American friends have tried to educate me but I still don’t know one end of Congress from the other. And don’t get me started on what the Senate is. So you might think that I would be put off by Sam Simpson’s Richmond papers because there’s a lot of politics in it.But I wasn’t, not at all, because it was also a work of  historical fiction


With timeframes that predate the American Civil War, through to the present day the book examines the journey of confederate gold and inflammatory documents that would expose the credibility of the USA and its constitution. Location sends our protagonists, Tom and Sally, in an almost Dan Brown frenzy across the USA, England, Scotland and New Zealand before reaching the truth. There’s thrills and spills from sinister factions, official and unofficial, in both timeframes and leave the reader in little doubt that corruption in politics is universal and timeless.


That could make for depressing reading but the book has a liveliness in the narrative that allows the reader to hover over the serious indictments contained within it so it comes across as lighter than it could do potentially. It was an entertaining book and struck a fair balance between fact and fiction.


My thanks to Library thing for a copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment