Thursday 7 July 2022

The Museum of Ordinary People - Mike Gayle


  I’m sure I’m not alone when I say how deep a chord this book has struck with me. Having been in the position of clearing the family home and wanting to hang onto much more than I ever had space for I would’ve given anything for the Museum of Ordinary People (although I could’ve filled the entire museum!) This book, whilst it does deal with loss and grief, is a heartwarming celebration of love, friendship and determination. There are moving moments, it’s not a saccharin read, but there is a sense of optimism, and of rendering mourning and bereavement into something meaningful and positive if that’s not a contradiction. It also made me think about our disposable society and how we potentially throw away our memories.

Jess is a delightful character and somebody I warmed to straight away. She interweaves with the narrative that sparkles along with a “then“ and “now“ structure that works perfectly. It’s consummate storytelling allowing the reader to completely connect with the story and the characters. I don’t think there’s a single unpleasant character in the book, apart from the “bloke from the council“ (hiss, boo) and he was just doing his job.  There are characters who are a little flawed and have secrets to tell but that simply adds to the somewhat quirky nature of the book. And I know the museum is for ordinary people but I think the book highlights how the most ordinary of people can also be extraordinary. It’s a lovely novel that strikes a balance between the escapism of reading but also the challenges of real life.


My thanks to team Bookends  for a copy of this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment