Wednesday 20 July 2022

Shadow - Gurpreet Kaur Sidhu

I was fortunate enough to win a copy of this book in a Librarything early reviewers’ draw. This was back in March and as the weeks meandered by it seemed that it might be a no-show until a neatly wrapped package arrived from the USA a couple of weeks ago. Inside the book was a signed inscription from the author suggesting I read the first book in the series, Storm, as Shadow would make more sense. I thought it was the least I could do given the cost of shipping the book to the UK. And I’m so glad I did! For not only does reading Storm enhance the understanding of Shadow it’s made me hungry for Book 3 of the series now.



Shadow is a complex thriller, and although the book is ostensibly rooted in a 1930s past and the present day it has elements of the futuristic, the paranormal and the almost dystopian. As I have read the books back to back it’s hard to separate the two in a way. But Shadow cleverly begins by echoing the ending of Storm. Many issues are dealt with concerning greed, power and corruption, companies, family dynamics, past lives – and that’s just for starters!


The difficulty of reviewing books like these is in not giving too much away in terms of the plot. It is a convoluted and complex plot with some family and relationship lineage that demands the reader concentrate. I would guess that more will be revealed in Book 3. I certainly hope so! 


It is both plot and character driven. There is some excellent characterisations making it easy to like some characters and to loathe and fear some of the others. Those of, shall we say, a sinister nature had shivers going down my spine when they popped up in the story. The plot is complicated and my admiration for the authors effort here is boundless. There is a lot of action and the tension is palpable on occasions. There are some upsetting moments that are crucial to the plot. But the twists and secrets, revelations and choices to be made keep all of the characters, and readers too, on their toes the whole time. Relax at your peril! 


To pare the story down it is about a family whose lives are affected by the SEA (Secret Eye Agency). The family lock horns with agents of the SEA and there is an attempt to bring down this insidious organisation by members of the family. That is reducing it to the minimum because so much more goes on.  I was gripped by both books and I’m looking forward to see how the series continues and develops.


If you’re looking for absolute realism then maybe you’d best look away but if you have an expansive imagination open to all the possibilities that fiction can throw at you then you’ll find a lot to entertain you in this series.


My thanks to Librarything for facilitating my copy of this book and to the author herself for my copy and endowing me with a new moniker - Agent 778! 


No comments:

Post a Comment