Monday 6 September 2021

Dear Reader - Cathy Rentzenbrink

 


I’m sure there’s many a reader of this book, like me, who has sat back in disbelief at the words they’ve just read because everything they’ve ever felt about books and reading has been expressed so eloquently. Then sat up with the belief that this is surely the book they could have, should have written. But the simple truth is they didn’t and I didn’t. But Cathy Rentzenbrink did though. And how!


Something I found fascinating was comparing my childhood diet of reading literature with the author’s. They were practically identical. Is this mix of books guaranteed to form somebody who will read for the rest of their lives? Or is it a certain kind of person who seeks out and responds to these books because they are and always have been, intrinsically, a reader?


Some people measure their lives with the music that triggers memories and emotions about certain periods in their lives, others do that with books. And this book tells the story of this writer’s life and the books that accompany it as a literary rather than a musical soundtrack. I love the eclectic mix of books covered. I love it that there was no one genre that the author restricted herself to. I loved it that there were classic and intellectual works alongside lighter, more frivolous books. The book is divided into various chapters detailing the author’s life and within those chapters are the books relevant to those sections. So be prepared to add an abundance of titles to your TBRs! 


This is such an uplifting book to read. There is no pretension. In places it’s funny, in spite of some challenging and harrowing periods in the author’s life.  Ms. Rentzenbrink has the ability to look at herself objectively and her self perception is so honest and real. Her experiences as a bookseller in both Harrods and Waterstones is fascinating. Envy isn’t a pretty emotion. But I did feel it from time to time! 


I think that anyone who finds a solace and an escape in books will relate to this so strongly. 


Reading has been a great source of comfort, knowledge, pleasure and joy. It is the most central aspect of my identity; the truest thing I could say about myself is, I am a reader.


How perfect is that?! 


This is a book I shall dip into again and again for there’s a reassurance and a camaraderie to be felt from reading about a kindred spirit and their companionship with books 


My thanks to NB Magazine for a gifted copy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment