Monday 13 September 2021

even the birds grow silent - Alex Nye


 I first became aware of Alex Nye when I read Arguing With the Dead, an historical novel for adults centred around the life of Mary Shelley. I was struck by Nye’s ability to really get into the head of Mary Shelley so convincingly. And this author now features on my list of ‘writers whose books I will always read’. And if ‘dead’ figured in the first book of Ms. Nye’s that I read then it surely dominates this one! For Death is the narrator of this collection of ‘fragments’ as the cover advises us. And whilst the personification of death is not a new one in the world of the arts this is, I believe, a unique take on her. Oh yes, Death is a woman. For here Death gets to give us her side of the story and we are taken though history from the early cave painters to the ‘baffled king’ Leonard Cohen. All your ‘favourites’ are here! Van Gogh, Virginia Woolf and Lady Jane Grey to name a few…. some notable events as well, the Great Fire of London, the village of Eyam, but hey, I must stop for I will not go down the spoiler route. (Gotta say, though, the George Harrison one is a killer! (No pun intended))!

Arguing With the Dead and the next book I read, When We Get to the Island, showed an ability for detailed and relevant research whether it be of an historical nature or, as with the latter, looking at more contemporary issues. That same skill is evident in this latest volume as, alongside the famous deaths, are some lesser known accounts. and the interesting thing is I am not certain whether they re fictional or based on real life events! I’ve googled some to find out and my results are inconclusive.  The stories all work alongside each other seamlessly. (The last fragment is a cracker, let me tell you!) There is a pleasing balance between the more sombre side of death and a sense of something lighter hearted, witty even, so that the end result is not as much of a downer as you might anticipate from a book where Death is the main theme.

Interesting, too, is the consideration of Death and her motives, she presents as an emotional and intelligent entity, and this could possibly spark some interesting spiritual discussions among book groups etc.

I think it is a unique book, very easy to read and relatively undemanding of your time since it weighs in at just over 200 pages but don't be deceived because it will make you think, it will elicit a smile or two and maybe even a tear or three….




No comments:

Post a Comment