Monday 2 August 2021

Three Weddings and a Proposal - Sheila O’Flanagan

 


This author is new to me despite an impressive  body of work so I came to the story with no preconceptions. I found it an interesting novel as it kept making me think it was going down a certain path but it didn’t! From the title I wondered if it was a romance/chick lit story and there are fairly dominant elements of that. But there was a point where I thought it might be going down the legal novel route and it didn’t, then I thought it might be heading down the mystery route, but, again, it didn’t!  I even thought we might be heading for a thriller but we weren’t. So all in all the book kept me on my toes! Ultimately I found it went beyond mere romance to look at the place of women within our contemporary society; their motivations and aspirations and it examines families, friendships and loyalties between men and women.

Clearly the work of an experienced novelist the narrative progresses, evenly balanced with sufficient detail to create a palpable picture of one woman striving to make sense of her world and how she fits into it without compromising her true self. It’s an enjoyable read with some strong characterisations, very much a book for today’s women.

No comments:

Post a Comment