Monday 2 August 2021

Books, Reading and Synchronicity

 



Is it in any way possible that these three books can have anything in common? Two historical fictions and a French translation? All gifted copies from different sources. Seems unlikely doesn’t it? However……..

I read these books in the order photographed. I had no prior knowledge of the authors and I guess I had no expectations of any of the books. The first is a stunning historical fiction set in 1574 in Edinburgh detailing a period of Scotland’s history. It was the first time I had come across the name ‘Buccleuch’ pertaining to the Duke of Buccleuch in Scotland and the Scott family. I did not expect to come across the term again in the next book I read! But I did! The Fair Botanists is another historical fiction, this time set in 1822 and in Edinburgh. I promise you I did not plan this! The Scott family and  Buccleuch feature in the story. But primarily the book is about two women with an interest in botany. So I finish that book and I pick up the next book. Set in Japan there is nothing that even remotely refers to Edinburgh or Scotland! But the main character is……….  a botanist! 


It’s like 6° of separation but with books, not people. I’ve come across this before, the reading of one book seems to lead on to the reading of another with some seemingly spurious connection. It’s as if some deeper force is at work guiding my literary journey. I love it! I find it exciting……or maybe I need to get out more!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment