Wednesday 12 February 2020

My Sister, The Serial Killer - Oyinkan Braithwaite

This is one of those books which seemed to pop up everywhere on social media, everyone seemed to be reading it, except me! So when I saw this copy sitting expectantly on the new additions shelf of my local library it felt rude not to borrow it immediately. Which I did. I took it home and read it - immediately. 

Oh what a joyous read! A simply structured, easy narrative with a wicked humour underpinning the whole lot. Two sisters, not alike in dignity in fair Nigeria where we lay our scene - oh, how different they are in character and temperament. But the absurdity of the situation cannot fail to delight the reader who in turn feels faintly guilty at finding murder so amusing! 

How far would you go to extract your own sister from a pickle, if, indeed, I might describe the murder of a lover as a ‘pickle’ ! Maybe once, I hear you ponder in consternation, but three times! And when the potential fourth is your own love interest you might start to question your motivation. This is what happens here against the backdrop of Nigerian culture and life in a busy hospital where coma patients demonstrate an exemplary ability to silently empathise with all they are being told. 

A delightful cast of characters headed by Korede, the big sister, looking out for Ayoola, the little sister. She goes beyond the call of duty in many senses and we hear the whole story from her perspective. Th dynamic between the two is well handled and those of us with sisters will identify! How ever may I state categorically that I have never offered to help my sister cover up any of her murders. ;)

This was one of those books that I had perceived in my mind as a lengthy, bloodthirsty read. It isn’t at all. It’s odd because I’d almost describe it as a light read but that feels wrong because of the murder theme and the dark humour making it feel heavier than it actually is. Whatever. I enjoyed it and read it in nearly one sitting!

And may I thank my local library for stocking a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment