Wednesday 23 August 2017

A Semi Definitive List of Worst Nightmares - Krystal Sutherland



This is a YA book and I am an OA. Fortunately I am an OA who has never really grown up so I very much enjoy fiction for the younger reader. And I very much enjoyed this book. And anyway does age really matter? Not where this book is concerned as it deals with some very real and contemporary issues. It is written with some humour that helps counter some of the tougher stuff. It is quirky with some almost John Irving type characters. It has a morality within it that could potentially be of some support to many of the troubled souls out there. And it moves along at a cracking pace. Ostensibly it is about facing your fears and developing strategies to do so. But sub themes are about family, friendship, love and bravery.  Aimed at adolescent readers with much American teen vernacular I think it night appeal to a broader readership. It’s competently written, striking an effective balance between the light and the dark which saves the book from becoming too depressing on the one hand or too cavalier on the other. 


It isn’t a book that would have leapt off the shelf at me so I am indebted to Readers First for the opportunity to read it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment