Thursday 27 July 2023

Disobedient - Elizabeth Fremantle


19/04/2023
 I’ve never made a secret of my antipathy toward e-reading and kindle reading. Sometimes I have to use devices for reading to meet a deadline, but it’s with reluctance. However, when you’re desperate to read the latest book by one of your favourite writers, which won’t be published for a few months, and there is an opportunity to download it on Net Galley. It becomes a no brainer!! I love Elizabeth Fremantle’s books so much I was prepared to read it digitally rather than wait for my physical copy.

Disobedience is the story of Artemisia Gentileschi, the baroque painter, seemingly “rediscovered“ of late. The National Gallery had an exhibition of her work which was in the middle of lockdown, so I couldn’t behold her works physically, but the National Gallery did do a zoom lecture on her, which I took advantage of. And somehow, in my ageing, illogical brain, reading a digital copy of this book, seemed in harmony with my digital viewing of the exhibition.

Something that I admire so much in Ms Fremantle’s work is her ability to create the most palpable scenarios right from the off. There’s no need to “get into“ the book, you’re there from the first word. It’s as if you’re immediately enveloped into 17th century Rome, the lifestyle and habits of these artists. Is that the mark of impeccable research, skilful writing or a fusion of both. I’ve experienced it in all her books. And for the duration of your read, you’re there in that very world as if you were born to it.

Artemisia is an artist, and also a woman subject to the societal codes and dogmas of her time. Chaperones and marriage, limited choices. Strong and brave is the woman who opposes. Artemisia is ambitious, certainly, in terms of her art and the vision she has of what her art can do. This story revolves around a certain period in the painter’s life. It’s not seeking to tell us her whole history, but it’s showing how one individual deals with a set of circumstances that would surely crush a lesser person. Many readers may well be familiar with Gentileschi’s story I don’t want to spoil it for those who don’t. What I’d like to focus on is how well the story is told. This writer has an uncanny knack of seeing into the hearts and souls of the characters she writes about. And that’s more than impeccable research. It demonstrates such a feel for the period and people about which she’s writing. The characterisations are superb. From the artist’s father, Orazio, to Zita, her chaperone and model, these characters are so fully formed they leap off the page at you And you believe. I think that in historical fiction to believe in the characters is so vital for the history to come alive. And it does come alive here. The narrative is superb. The pacing is so well balanced. The plot is so satisfyingly crafted that there’s almost a sigh of relief at the book’s conclusion. Not because you’ve finished the book, but because Artemesia has stayed true to herself, and not been cowed, or capitulated to other people. You want to raise a fist in celebration at her triumph. 

The facts of her story could be read in some kind of biographical account of her life. But you wouldn’t get the same frisson or the same sense that you are there with her. With this story, you can almost smell the paint, feel the injustice. This book brings Artemisia Gentileschi to life.

My thanks to Net Galley for a digital copy. 

27/07/2023 And today my hardback copy arrived, so I can now read it “properly“.🤣



No comments:

Post a Comment