Saturday 22 July 2023

Becoming Us - Jake & Hannah Graf


 I borrowed this book from my local library and read it over a couple of days. It was so uplifting and hopeful. Transgender issues are very contemporary at the moment and seem to be quite contentious fodder for many folk out there. Reading a story like Jake and Hannah’s is illuminating and can educate those people who can’t quite grasp the bigger picture. I’m not talking about the professional trolls who do their trolley dashes through the social media supermarkets but people who offer a degree of vitriol purely through ignorance. We see it, so often today, people offer their opinions without any real understanding or knowledge of the issue. I think a book like this can offer people the chance to become more informed. But, for me anyway, it is not ‘just’ a book about transgender, it’s a book about love and overcoming potentially insurmountable odds, staying strong and true. It’s an easy read, written in a relaxed style with Jake and Hannah sharing the narrative throughout and taking us on their journeys both as individuals and as a couple. I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment