Thursday 5 January 2023

The Swedish Art of Ageing Well - Margareta Magnusson

 


As somebody who is not ageing well or rather not dealing with ageing well this book seemed like the perfect choice for me. It’s neat, compact and there’s something very cosy about its size that makes you feel better just by holding it in your hands. It’s largely anecdote driven which supports the old adage that you should write about what you know and Margareta Magnusson has done just that. There’s a faintly conversational style about it so it comes across as less a self-help book than a chat with a new friend. A memoir almost. There’s a lot of wisdom from somebody with experience and there’s a lot of empathic and sympathetic observations about life and people in general. It puts ageing into a context. There are some practical, helpful suggestions particularly when it comes to “death cleaning“ which isn’t something I’d come across before I read this book and it makes perfect sense. Although it’s something I’m going to find very hard to get started on. But if that sounds like this might be a bleak doomy, gloomy sort of book nothing could be further from the truth. It’s gently pragmatic. Weighing in at less than 150 pages it’s very easy to read and well worth the time spent. It’s also something you can refer back to which I think I shall do particularly when ageing really gets me down. Although the author is Swedish, as the title suggests, she has spent a lot of time in other countries and cultures which enables a broader outlook. And chocolate features. Gets my vote every time!


My thanks to Canongate Books for a gifted copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment