Monday 15 August 2022

Villager - Tom Cox

 

It’s taken me a while to get round to reading this book published earlier in the year. I had various deadlines which kept interfering but also because I felt nervous. Nervous! I hear you nervously echo. Why? It’s a book. Yes, but I revere Tom Cox.  I’ve read most of his books and I’ve loved them and this is his first novel and I was scared I wouldn’t love it. I couldn’t bear the thought of that. I’ve read Help the Witch which is a collection of short stories. Short stories are fiction but they aren’t a novel. I enjoyed the collection immensely and was relieved that Mr. Cox’s inimitable style endured across these stories. But could he sustain that for a whole novel? 


Villager is quirky and genre defiant from the off. And somehow I was relieved to find that. So it was a good start. As I became immersed in the story Tom’s passion and admiration for the natural world, customs and traditions from folklore,  and music all weave their threads throughout the narrative. His views on the world and some of the people in it are made clear through the philosophies and opinions of his characters. 


Underpinning the novel is the village of Underhill; a distinctly unhobbity place populated by diverse and individual people. They share the narration and a variety of devices are employed structurally throughout. I especially enjoyed the Message Board chapter which had me chuckling out loud. Tom’s wit is evident throughout the book. Time frames are traversed back and forth and a sense of magic cements the story as a whole in the form of a kind of earth spirit, Me, commenting on all that transpires over time. ( I could almost see this character as Cox himself!)


It’s not a fast paced book it rather captures the essence of a ramble across  Dartmoor taking everything in. But also the book demonstrates Cox’s perceptions; towards people, but mostly the natural world where his descriptions demonstrate a love, respect and a reverence. It was as if he was subliminally urging the reader to ensure their relationship with our planet is beyond reproach.  I also felt there was a sense of championing the creativity that can drop between the chairs because central to the story is RJ McKendree a musician and his album Wallflower. One time with a cult following the music has all but disappeared and it made me think about how music can fall in and out of the popular consciousness. I loved the musical references and it’s got me listening to my Judee Sill and Nick Drake albums again. 


It’s a substantial, meandering work. Like a river it has its tributaries that all run into it at some point evidencing some careful plotting. It is demanding I read it again and lose myself in a world that never loses touch with the current global shenanigans but also casts an ethereal glow all around me and speaks of better things. 


Oh me of little faith! How could I ever have doubted him? OF COURSE he can write a novel. He’s Tom Cox.


I pledged to Unbound as I’ve done for several of Tom’s books, probably all his Unbound ones, and I’ll continue to do so for as long as he writes for them. And this beautiful book will take its place alongside Tom’s other books which have their special place on my bookshelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment