Thursday 18 August 2022

Skip to the End - Molly James


Oh don’t! Skip to the end, I mean. Tempting as it might be to follow instructions, read the whole book. Please.

This is a charming novel. It made think of the film About Time with Bill Nighy and Domnhall Gleeson, a premise where fantasy and real life collide sufficiently enough to make you believe.

It’s one of those books where as a reader I kind of knew where it was headed. And that always confuses me because sometimes calling a book predictable sounds critical. But in fact I often wonder whether that is the intention of the author?  To make the outcome almost obvious? It’s a kind of bond between reader and writer because we both know what’s going to happen and we’re both looking on as our hapless heroine flounders her way to what is a fairly obvious conclusion. 

I won’t say there weren’t some surprises here but the main one, the big one, somehow I just knew it was always going to be. Nevertheless I still bawled my eyes out at the end!

So skip to the beginning and join Amy, May, Jay, Gareth, and Charlotte, their fabulous friendship, their lives and their loves. Prepare to be entertained.


My thanks to Team Bookends for a proof.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment