Friday 22 October 2021

Piranesi - Susannah Clarke

 


I guess this may be a marmite book. For readers who prefer the realist approach to literature this may be too challenging. For those with expansive imaginations it is sublime and surreal. Does it help to know that Piranesi was an 18th century Italian archaeologist, artist and architect? Possibly not. But subtle and nuanced cultural allusions populate the novel. Or they did for me! Narnia was conjured, quite obviously I think! And I can remember feeling that if Kafka were writing today this is the kind of book he would be producing. Lo and behold there was a reference to “The Castle” , not directly alluding to the Kafka novel, but that was my interpretation. I was reminded too of Erin Morgenstern and the Starless Sea, and in some of the descriptions of the statues, the halls, the birds, visions of Gormenghast entered my head. I started to look for these allusions. For example, what did each statue mean? We’re the names relevant? Did Raphael refer to the healing angel? But I had to stop. I felt I was trying to interpret too much from the novel. When all it was asking me to do, really, was to read it!  

It’s a story, yes. But I found it so much more, so multilayered. Allegorical. Considerations as to the notion of freedom, which always interest me, are dominant. Also the nature of isolation and solitude. The creation of an alternate reality has to be plausible. And whilst that may sound like a paradox it isn’t. When you find yourself completely immersed in the world and picturing this world as you hope the author imagined you know you’re reading fantasy fiction of quality.


It’s detailed and precise writing. Ponderous almost in places but when you realise the nature of Piranesi’s existence and the limits of his world it couldn’t be more fitting. The descriptions are incredibly visual. I wonder whether it will ever be filmed! I can picture it clearly in my head. The characters are relatively few which serves to emphasise the nature of solitude.


Piranesi, himself, is such an appealing character. There is an intrinsic calm and gentleness to him that offers the reader an almost meditative experience as you read the book. His meticulous and ordered approach in logging his life in his journals offers a curious kind of reassurance. His belief in the inherent goodness of The House, his reverence for life, and past lives, is touching. The contrast between his character and The Other further cements the reader’s loyalty to Piranesi. The adherence to his rituals almost suggest that he might be somewhere on the spectrum but he needed to follow them in order to survive. And he seems to have such a belief in the goodness of others. That was challenged certainly as the novel gathers momentum but I’m loathe to offer spoilers. This is oft quoted from the book - 


““The Beauty of the House is immeasurable; its Kindness infinite.”


 - so I don’t see that as a spoiler but it comes more from the essence of Piranesi than from the world he’s describing. And I found something quasi religious, spiritual almost about it rather than some of kind of a epigram. So  - the beauty of the book is immeasurable. 😉 


It’s a book to return to I think for I can’t get the sense of allusion out of my head. I want to go back and make copious notes much in the manner of Piranesi’s journals. And it is as if by so doing I will be able to extract some deeper insights, some fundamental truths from the narrative. They may or may not be there. Sometimes I feel I’m in danger of trying to extricate too much from the book! But, arguably, is that the mark of a good book?

No comments:

Post a Comment