Saturday 27 March 2021

Notebook - Tom Cox


I didn’t think I could love Tom Cox any more than I did but then I read this exquisite little volume and I realise I can. There is nothing more affirming than reading words that express so succinctly, not just how you feel about things, but what you do and how you live your life. I suppose it stands to reason that as a devotee of Tom’s writing much of that is because I am in tune with his values and his thought processes.  But it is also because he has such an accessible, conversational, inspirational and even educational style that his works are so substantial. There is always such warmth in his work. He also makes me feel less weird because he does things that I do.

This particular book really resonated with me because I am an acquirer of notebooks, all shapes and sizes.  Wherever I go I’ll buy one. And I can’t believe how many end up in charity shops. I’ve picked up some beauties. So from the start I loved the concept of this book.

There is so much in it to make you laugh, to make you think, to pique your interest and to admire someone who is such a pertinent observer of life and people. It’s full of love, too, love for the natural world and love for family. The illustrations are done by Tom’s parents which is just such a lovely thing.

If you’re a notebook keeper yourself you won’t need any explanation of what this book is ‘about’. If you’re not, well, it’s about everything and anything. You might call it ‘random’ but life is random. It’s full of insights, opinions, theories and philosophies, self examination, anecdotes and much information. It’s the kind of book you can dip in and out of. I read it in all in one go but I’m looking forward to revisiting it and selecting parts to ponder more deeply. It’s compact with a wonderful blue cover.

I also think it’s a courageous book. I can’t think of a viable comparison except, perhaps people who have passed away and subsequently had their diaries published whether they wanted that or not. For it’s a man laid bare offering himself up for readers to take or leave, I guess. I’ll take.


No comments:

Post a Comment