Thursday 3 October 2024

Listen - on Music, Sounds and Us - Michel Faber


 The paperback edition of this book was published on 1st August so I'm a little behind with this review, okay a lot behind, but sometimes life gets in the way of blogging and reviewing. 

It's an interesting take on the hows and whys of our listening habits but it is very much one man's views and opinions which won't be universally shared. Faber makes many assertions that in many cases are his and his alone. Maybe it's just me but I found his tone condescending and at times superior as if he has some kind of edge on music that sets him above the majority of the rest of us. 

In many ways it's more a sociological work, a dissertation if you wish, than a book about music. Faber claims that it will change the way you listen. It hasn't, not for me, anyway.

I've been a music lover and collector of music all my life. And I'm old now. I have eclectic tastes and am not governed by what is currently in vogue. From Beethoven to Barry Manilow I'll listen. If my ears like it that's fine by me. I pass no judgement on what anyone else enjoys listening, we're all different. But I felt at times that Faber was ridiculing folk such as myself. 

This book could be seen as contentious. But you don't necessarily have to agree with all of Faber's views to enjoy the book. It seemed that he was very negative much of the time. It's both interesting and irritating but seems likely to generate a deal of discussion. I found the frequent footnotes annoying as they interfered with my reading of the main text. 

It's certainly not the best book I've read on the subject of music but there's plenty of challenging ideas here. 

My thanks to Canongate Books for a gifted copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment