Tuesday 30 July 2024

July Wrap Up



I’ve had a bit of a Fiona Cummins fest this month! Or perhaps I should say another Fiona Cummins fest for I read three of her books last month and now three this month. And she is returning to my local bookshop this Friday to talk about All of Us are Broken which I’m looking forward to and I can tell her that I’ve read all of her books now, if I get the chance. They are chilling, twisty stories that you just can’t put down. Rattle and the Collector go together and we meet Saul Anguish for the first time before he progresses into Into The Dark and All of Us are Broken. 


 One of the publicists at Quercus books offered me a finished copy of Trevor Woods’  latest book, The Silent Killer, which I wrote about on my blog.


 

 Bridget Collins The Silence Factory was a library book. I read The Binding but not The Betrayals. However, that might have just edged its way further up my TBR list after this one which was mesmerising almost in its gothic tale of family, fortune and… silk!

  

 

Next up was a volume of poetry from Ricky Ray. I wrote about this on my blog.

 

https://bookphace.blogspot.com/2024/07/the-soul-we-share-ricky-ray.html

 


 Rose Tremain’s Absolutely and Forever was a novella, a moving tale of love and friendship with a twist right at the end that will grab your heart.


Next  is Three Sisters, Three Queens by Phillipa Gregory. I love her Tudor books although I would say this one dragged a little at times because it seemed repetitive in one sense as Maragret went from castle to castle fleeing someone other. But it does give you a flavour of the courts of Scotland and England at that time and how basic communication was!! Days for letters to reach the recipient, hard to think of in our time of instant messaging!!

 


 

Finally this month Thinking Girl by Norma Meacock. Published in the sixties it reminded me a little of Henry Miller. I found it on a second hand book site because it is out of print. I read it because it was written by my brother’s neighbour! I had the pleasure of meeting her earlier this year, she is 90 now, bless her and one of those bohemian, original people you only come across every so often. She’s written two book and I hope to read the second one soon.

 


 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment