Wednesday 13 September 2023

Night Train to Marrakech - Dinah Jefferies


 As I began to read this book news of the dreadful earthquake in Morocco came through. And somehow, reading about this vibrant country has made the tragedy affect me all the more deeply. So I dedicate this review to all of those people who lost their lives, or their homes, or their loved ones in one of nature’s unpreventable disasters.

I was intrigued to read that this is the third in a series of books. It certainly works very well as a standalone, but it’s made me keen now to read the previous books. But there’s plenty enough going on in this book to keep me satisfied for a while. This is what fiction is all about. It’s escapist, it’s romantic it’s exciting and it takes you to places you may never have been or even aspire to visit but you can do it all vicariously from the comfort of your armchair . This is the work of a born storyteller. Someone who knows how to create an atmosphere and populate it with diverse characters, some of them you love and some of them you loathe and fear. It’s fairly clear that there are secrets to be uncovered, particularly where Clemence is concerned and I enjoyed the way that her character was developed from the rather cold remote figure at the beginning of the book to the loving grandmother by the end. I enjoyed the balance of age ranges amongst the characters. From the youngsters like Vicki and Tom and Bea, to the oldsters, like Theo and Clemence. Issues about family relationships abound, offering the reader plenty of food for thought. It’s not a soft read either. There are some nailbiting moments and some horrifying moments.it’s a most immersive read, and I look forward to reading the previous books in the series at some point.

My thanks Readers First for my copy.


No comments:

Post a Comment