Wednesday 21 June 2023

After That Night - Karin Slaughter

 


I understand that Will Trent is the lead character in a 10 previous thrillers by this author! But not having read any of the others has by no means diminished the pleasure I got from reading this book. It’s made me hungry to read some more, in fact!

Assaults on women is a challenging topic and not enjoyable to read about, but whilst this issue is central to the story the way it is dealt with and the outcomes,  dilute the horror to a degree.

I found it an engrossing and riveting read. As a police procedural, it’s absolutely fascinating. As a tightly plotted thriller, it’s excellent. It’s an intelligent story where the reader has to concentrate fully to keep up and the way it’s written encourages the reader to solve the clues alongside our intrepid investigators. The medical sequences are also extremely realistic, so the research is impeccable on all sides.

I enjoyed all the characters Will, Sarah, Faith, and even Amanda! It’s wetted my appetite to find out if these characters are in the previous books, and what part they play there. There’s lots of tension in the climax the  final denouement was mind blowing! I never suspected for a moment. This is consummate storytelling. This is a writer who understands her readers and how to craft an entertaining and thought-provoking novel. The pacing is perfect. 

And whilst you can enjoy this simply as a good story, there’s also room for the reader to consider some of the issues contained within it. Quite harrowing at times, and I’m sure I’m not alone at feeling anger towards the perpetrators. But as well as the main story, there are also the stories of the characters, The book has much to say about parenting and relationships and the work life balance. Also about privilege and money and abuse of trusted positions. It’s a substantial work.

My thanks to Readers First for the copy that I won in their prize draw.


No comments:

Post a Comment