Tuesday 26 April 2022

The Perfect Find - Tia Williams




 Although originally published in 2016 this republication doesn’t feel out of place within the context of today’s obsession with media and influencers. I will confess that during the early stages of the book I was reminded of The Devil Wears Prada but the book evolved into its own self and left behind any potential comparisons. Apparently it’s soon to be a Netflix film. I can see it translate to the screen very well. As a story it has a lot of appeal. It’s raunchy, witty and contemporary. As a book it is undemanding, entertaining. The characters are lively, vibrant. Thematically I suppose it’s about an age gap romance. But there’s more to it than that. It has a lot to say about what goes on in the workplace, about ambition, families, the fashion industry and social media. And I guess it also has something to say about how tenuous life can be. When you’re up how far you can fall type of thing. But ultimately it’s a fun read possibly not intended to be taken seriously. There was an element of predictability about what happened but I think that’s part of the fun.The reader gets to anticipate the outcome. 

Hand on heart I couldn’t say it’s a well written book but I think that because the other elements are so strong it doesn’t become a major issue. Although Jenna seems to be the main character I felt that Eric was given an equal voice and that doesn’t always happen. I liked that the author gave careful consideration to both points of view. 


My thanks to Quercus Books for a gifted proof. 


No comments:

Post a Comment