Thursday 24 March 2022

Orphans of the Storm - Celia Imrie

 

The Navratil ‘orphans’ will be well known to Titanic buffs, the lost orphans whose identity was uncertain initially but who were finally reunited with their mother just over a month after the sinking.  “Rescued“ by Margaret Hays after survivors from the Titanic lifeboats were safely aboard the rescue ship, Carpathia. But if Titanic buffs are expecting a story focused solely on the great ship they may be disappointed for Ms. Imrie has written a finely researched story that goes way back before the birth of the boys and even before the marriage of their parents. Credit for the immaculate  historical research goes to Fidelis Morgan.


However those of us with more than a passing interest in Titanic lore will find much to enjoy in this well crafted story of the South American seamstress and her fugitive, controlling husband. 

A palpable picture of turn-of-the-century Nice is created in the tale of deceit and manipulation. Our sympathies for Marcella are engaged as we see how a woman deals with social convention and expectations in early 20th century Europe. When she takes the courageous step setting divorce proceedings in motion against her husband and it sets in motion a whole chain of events. 


The story is told from three perspectives, Marcella, Michael and Margaret but I think throughout it is Marcella to whom we offer our allegiance. I found it hard to engage with Michael once I realised what a rat he turned out to be! I think I was as besotted as Marcella initially! I found Margaret an interesting character because she presents initially as a bit of a flake, a bit of an airhead but you realise that her intentions are true and she does a good thing in taking care of the two boys.


I would think that for people who have no interest or knowledge about the Titanic disaster this book will be received ‘simply’ as an historical fiction novel and the sequences aboard the Titanic as part of a bigger story. Those who were drawn to it because of the Titanic connection may feel that there wasn’t enough about the ship. And I’ll admit I fall into the latter category. I’ve been fascinated by the Titanic for years and I was even been fortunate enough to meet a Titanic survivor several years ago. She’s no longer with us now unfortunately but a lot of what she told me, particularly about being rescued by the Carpathia, was accurately described in this book. But as well as being a history nerd I’m also a reader and so I did enjoy this book. The author took an historical event and looked at the wider perspectives and has created a thoroughly enjoyable fiction around it.


My thanks go to my local library for allowing me to reserve this book. Use your library. Or lose your library.

No comments:

Post a Comment