Thursday 27 January 2022

The Second Cut - Louise Welsh


 Something I loved about this book was the sense of being enveloped in some kind of black and white B movie, film noir thriller from a past age - except - it is all so very contemporary! Topical issues are covered here; LGBTQ+, migrant workers, and drugs, but all seamlessly contained within a tight plot.

This book is apparently the second in a series featuring antiques auctioneer Rilke, I’m not sure what his christian name is, it might be in the text somewhere, I don’t recall and I can’t think of him as anyone but Rilke, but it matters not, I didn’t feel my enjoyment of this book was ever in jeopardy from not having read the first. (I certainly want to, now!).

Rilke is an engaging character, he comes across as sometime the good guy, sometimes not and he’s not averse to bending the rules to achieve a desired outcome. He’s flawed and real. I thought all of the characterisations were well drawn and believable. People behaved as you would expect them to throughout the book which I always think is the mark of good characterisation.

The plot is complex but cleverly executed with plenty of tension and a few nail biting moments. The first part of the book creates a palpable a mood of Glasgow and does some effective scene setting and character introductions before we progress to the nitty gritty and the plot intensifies. It’s not exactly a slow paced narrative, rather, a balanced and controlled one, There’s humour in amongst some of the more brutal and explicit sequences. It’s not overtly political in terms of that overshadowing what is predominately a mystery story yet the book has something to say about gay issues, policing, the generation divide -  and even the pandemic is referenced.

It’s a substantial book, meaty, and hard to second guess and the conclusion was enigmatic without being unsatisfactory. I hope for more in the series.

My thanks to Olivia-Savannah Roach at Canongate Books for a gifted copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment