Wednesday 8 December 2021

Thinkers and Doubters - Michal Arbel


 Thinkers and Doubters is a collection of reflective poetry and prose musing on the many meanings of life, love and the human condition. And you might be forgiven for assuming, perhaps, that these observations might come from a mature, experienced poet who has seen a great deal of life. In fact this collection is written by 17-year-old Michal Arbel, an American student. Her accomplishments belie her youth and her observations are expressed with an eloquent dignity not always associated with the “youth of today“!

Not only is the poet an astute observer of life and people,  she’s endowed with a generous helping of self perception. It is a paradox to find the innocence of youth expressed with a maturing and blossoming wisdom. Much of the work expresses “young” thoughts and will surely resonate with her contemporary readers but it seemed to me that Michal is in possession of an intuitive wisdom about life and in some ways her observations are timeless.

The verses themselves are uncomplicated but embody a depth of thought so that they present as lines of substance. It’s an auspicious collection and one can only imagine what this talented young poet may go on to produce.


If I may I’d like to quote the final poem from the book. Entitled “Goodbye“ it seems to offer a blueprint for a decent way to live and the poet’s understanding that sometimes simplicity is all that is required.


I discovered the meaning of life,

Or at least the meaning of my life,

At seventeen years old.

Maybe by accident,

And probably thanks to some streetlamps, 

I learned how my truth can be put in a few simple words.

The meaning of life,

Is to grow and evolve

Every single day.

To wake up every day better than your yesterday self,

To learn patience and forgiveness,

Especially towards yourself.

To be able to go to bed at night

With a huge smile

And say:

“Today I did something better,

I was kinder,

I was more patient,

And even if I wasn’t,

I always have tomorrow. “



My thanks to Library thing for an early reviewers copy of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment