Thursday 4 February 2021

Space Hopper - Helen Fisher


 ‘ Although Faye is happy with her life, the loss of her mother as a child weighs on her mind even more now that she is a mother herself. So she is amazed when, in an extraordinary turn of events, she finds herself back in her childhood home in the 1970s.  Faced with the chance to finally seek answers to her questions – but away from her own family – how much is she willing to give up for another moment with her mother?’

 An interesting premise that at once makes you think of Mitch Albom but there is something very British about this tale of grief. The title is a subtle play on words and I’m offering no spoilers hopefully for it gives you a kind of clue as to what happens. But you won’t hear it from me! There are rather touching childhood references in the book that persuade the reader that it will be a whimsical work and the stuff of imagination, fantasy even.


There is a lot to digest thematically, from explorations of grief and bereavement to relationships with spouse, parent, child and friends. There is also some astute considerations of how the child who becomes a parent can rethink their relationships with both their own parent and their own children. It’s moving, particularly if you can relate directly to some of the situations and emotions covered in the book. I was rendered tearful a couple of times, I will admit. 


I am struggling hard not to give anything away but there is a part of the book that has had me thinking for ages. It relates to one’s various selves I guess. And something none of us will ever be given the opportunity to do, unless it’s within the pages of a book,  is to interact in a meaningful way with any of our previous selves. I do that hope that’s not a spoiler.


I guess there may be some readers who are questioning Faye’s motivation. When she has what she has how could she risk that? It was another one of the burning questions that made me wonder -  how many of us would do what Faye did? 


I enjoyed the way that the author avoided the potential temptation to go down a saccharin and a sentimental path. I think that would’ve been easy to do but it never happens. Faye is very real because we are invited to see her,  flaws and all. It’s a good contrast between her and husband Eddie, who, whilst is not exactly flawless is in possession of some stunning qualities shall we say! I also enjoyed the dynamic between Faye and her blind friend Louis. The author puts her experience working for the RNIB to very good use and offers the reader an additional dimension to think about.


I think there will be readers who will struggle to suspend disbelief on a tale like this. But if you can,  and if you can let yourself go and allow yourself to be enveloped in this unique situation it’s a captivating story that will transport you out of the humdrum and to somewhere where it's more 'space HOPER' than Space Hopper. 


My thanks to the team at Simon and Schuster for my gifted proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment