Friday 11 December 2020

Hungry - Grace Dent

 Sometimes I get annoyed by memoirs and autobiographies. People who have been thrust into the spotlight, perhaps from reality TV, a successful music deal maybe, or an exceptional sporting triumph,  seem to feel that they should write a book about their lives. Even if they’re still quite young. And I find myself wondering why, and questioning their motivation.


Not so with this memoir of Grace Dent’s. For I think this is truly a memoir. In fact I also think it’s a kind of social history book! Such an amazing depiction of social life in the 80s and 90s. Resplendent with recognisable artefacts, anecdotes and customs from those years that so many of us can relate to. There was such a sense of “I remember that!”  That little piece of nostalgia that has the ability to both warm your heart and make you sad in one fell swoop. Brownies! Cadburys Fruit and Nut! Sara Lee! The picture portraits were so vivid from somebody who lived through a vibrant age but also was perceptive and observant enough to pick out the meaningful and salient points of those times. It was all from the authors perspective of course, but there was a broader consideration that you don’t always get from autobiographies and memoirs.

One of the most refreshing things about this book is not just about what it is but also what it isn’t. It isn’t a self absorbed, self aggrandising resume of somebody bigging themselves up about their life. No, this is a book about lives, yes, Grace Dent’s. But also the lives of others with some appealing accounts about members of her family and beyond. You ended up feeling you got to know, not just Grace, but the members of her family too. Such was the quality of the writing that you developed your own affection towards them all.

It comes across as an incredibly honest piece of work. And it will have you laughing and crying. I was very moved towards the end, I struggled to put it down. I just wanted to read on and on. That’s normally something you say of an edge of the seat thriller. It’s a balanced book which makes it a very satisfying read. There is humour, there is emotion, and there is impartial observations also. This book is full of grace (pun thoroughly intended) and dignity without being staid. It sparkles.

Grace Dent loves her family. That unconditional love with all its ups and downs. I think if I had to sum up what this book is about. I would say it’s about  - love.

Thanks to Readers First for my gifted copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment