Tuesday 7 July 2020

The Love Song of J. Alfred Covid (With apologies to T.S.Eliot)

I have been quite prolific during this lockdown with my own writing. And several pieces have found an outlet on the wonderful Pendemic website. Do check them out. I am so grateful that they gave me a voice and an outlet. An oasis in this pandemic desert.

http://pendemic.ie

However I have been so prolific that they've put a cap on me now! Apparently I have 18 pieces on the site which is significantly above their cap! I can submit no more. I'm disappointed, yes, of course I am. But they say they have to limit the number of submissions from individuals to make sure there's room for voices to be heard. I hadn't realised there was a cap even. I might have been more selective and spaced things out. But of course that won't stop me writing. It's almost like I have no control over it! Once I get an idea I have to go with it. And whilst I know this is a book blog I will occasionally post on here if I think I can forge some kind of tenuous link ! And I'm able to do that today. For there is a link with T.S. Eliot. 

The Love Song of J. Alfred Covid (With apologies to T.S.Eliot)

I already wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
I’ve dared to eat more peaches than I care to name. 
I am measuring out my life with soup spoons.
(Tea and coffee spoons too, you know).

In the room no one comes and goes
and right now I could not care about Michelangelo.

I will not walk through certain half deserted streets
For fear of drunken anti social distancers.

But I do have time 
to prepare a face 
for the faces I may now never meet.

And I have time to wonder,
 do I dare to leave this house?
Do I dare to unlock myself?

But will there be time to 
do the things I have to do,
do the things I need to do,
do the things I want to do,
as I grow not old but older?

I find it impossible to say just what I mean.

In the room no one comes and goes
and right now I could not care about Michelangelo.

I have listened for the mermaids singing
As I walk seawards each day.

I know they will not sing to me. 

I am the Fool
I am ridiculous.

I am led to an overwhelming question
Will a human voice wake me?
Will I drown?
Will I ever be hugged again?
Will I ever be loved again?






No comments:

Post a Comment